GradGuard Support



Why do I need liability coverage? How much do I need?

Updated 2 years ago | Frequently Asked Questions

What is Liability Insurance? 

Liability coverage protects you financially for unintentional damage to your residence or bodily injury when you are found legally liable, within your residence premises. This helps cover the cost of related damages and required legal defense. 

Here are just a few examples when personal liability may help protect you:

  • Your friend accidentally trips over your longboard that you left in the middle of your room and breaks an arm.
  • You set off the sprinkler system in your residence hall, causing the floor beneath you to flood.
  • You have a grease fire in the kitchen that causes damages to both your apartment and the adjoining neighbor(s). 

As with all insurance, the coverage is subject to limits and exclusions. 

Do I Need Liability Insurance? 

In order to purchase GradGuard College Renters Insurance, liability coverage must be selected. We do not currently sell property-only policies. You may choose from the following amounts: 

  • $25,000
  • $50,000
  • $100,000
  • $300,000

For specific rates, please click here to get a quote .  

How Much Liability Coverage Do I Need? 

If you are on campus, the suggested amount automatically appears when you are going through the quote process. On you may increase or decrease this by toggling the button right or left. We encourage you to evaluate how much you could afford to pay in the event that one of the unforeseen circumstances listed above occurred. Consider any assets you may have as well. 

If you are off-campus, many landlords and property management companies require a specific amount of liability in order to move in. Please check with your property manager to confirm the amount necessary to move in. 



Contact Us

* indicates a required field