GradGuard Support



How do I file a claim for renters insurance?

Updated 3 months ago | Frequently Asked Questions

To file a renters insurance claim, you will want to contact the underwriter on your policy, Markel, at 800-236-3113. This will be considered your "First Notice of Loss" and you will be contacted by a claims adjuster within 2-3 business days to review your claim.

Here are some things you will need:

  • Be sure to have your policy number handy! This begins with RTH80-- and can be found in your online account.
  • You need some kind of proof that you owned the item. This can be done by receipts, bank statements, photographs, or serial numbers!
  • If this was a theft, you will need to obtain a police report by either local or campus police.

In the end, the typical turnaround is 1-2 weeks from the time you give your First Notice of Loss until a replacement has made its way into your hands.

You can also file your First Notice of Loss documentation within your online account at

Contact Us

* indicates a required field